Indian Mission to ASEAN
17th Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas Convention 2023- Participation of ASEAN Member States
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Government of India. It is celebrated on January 9, the day when Mahatma Gandhi had returned to India (in 2015). It provides an important platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indians and to enable the diaspora to interact with each other. Beginning January 9, 2003, 16 editions of PBD have been celebrated. Since 2015, PBD is being celebrated once in every two years.
2. The 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) was organized from January 8-10, 2023 in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India. The theme for PBD 2023 was “Diaspora: Reliable Partners for India’s Progress in the Amrit Kaal”. Amrit Kaal is India’s 25-year journey till 2047, which will mark 100 years of India’s independence. This PBD was held in the physical format after a gap of four years. Over 3,500 diaspora members from nearly 70 different countries have participated in the PBD Convention.
3. Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the PBD Convention and the first ever digital exhibition on the contribution of the diaspora in the freedom struggle on 09 January, 2023. He also released a commemorative stamp, ‘Surakshit Jaayen, Prashikshit Jaayen’ on this occasion underlining the importance of safe, legal, orderly and skilled migration.
4. Chief Guest, H.E. Dr. Mohamed Irfaan Ali, the President of Cooperative Republic of Guyana, and the Special Guest of Honour, H.E. Mr. Chandrikapersad Santokhi, Hon’ble President of the Republic of Suriname also addressed the convention. Youth PBD was observed on 08 January, 2023.
5. The PBD Convention featured five thematic Plenary Sessions-
(i) Role of Diaspora Youth in Innovations and new Technologies;
(ii) Role of Indian Diaspora in promoting Indian Healthcare Eco-system in Amrit Kaal: Vision @2047;
(iii) Leveraging the soft power of India - Goodwill through craft, cuisine & creativity;
(iv) Enabling global mobility of Indian workforce – Role of Indian Diaspora; and,
(v) Harnessing the potential of diaspora entrepreneurs towards an inclusive approach to nation building
6. During PBD, the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award is also conferred on a Non-Resident Indian, Person of Indian Origin (PIO), or an organisation or institution established and run by them. The award is to commemorate the contribution of Indian diaspora to create a better understanding of India abroad, support India's causes and work for the welfare of the local Indian community. Selected eminent Indian diaspora members are awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards in the presence of Hon'ble President of India.
7. On 10 January 2023, Hon’ble Rashtrapati ji, Smt. Droupadi Murmu conferred Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards-2023 and presided over the Valedictory Session.
8. The convention also witnessed participation of ASEAN Member States i.e. Mr. Sivakumar Varatharaju Naidu, Minister of Human Resources of Malaysia; Mr. Ravindran A Vengadasamy, Political Secretary to the Prime Minister of Malaysia; Datuk Dr. Kuljit Singh, President of Association of Private Hospitals; and Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Awards-2023 was conferred to the following:
Dr. Alexander Maliakel John from Brunei Darussalam – a prominent Doctor (Senior Consultant Gastroenterologist at the RIPAS Hospital, Brunei) and author.
Mr. Piyush Gupta from Singapore - CEO and Director of DBS Group (a leading financial services group in Asia)